The Defense Health Agency (DHA) is a joint, integrated Combat Support Agency that enables the Army, Navy, and Air Force medical services to provide a medically ready force and ready medical force to Combatant Commands in both peacetime and wartime. DHA supports the delivery of integrated, affordable, and high quality health services to Military Health System (MHS) beneficiaries and is responsible for driving greater integration of clinical and business processes across the MHS.
This position supports the Medical Treatment Facilities that fall within the National Capital Region (NCR).
The work involves addressing a variety of difficult but standard problems, questions, or situations in conformance with established techniques and practices with regards to the procurement, safe operation and, life cycle maintenance and management of biomedical equipment. The incumbent identifies and recommends practical solutions when determining biomedical equipment malfunctions and/or manufacturing defects. Recommends use of substitutes or support equipment when the equipment requested is unavailable. Forms conclusions as to the acceptability of equipment, validity of testing procedures and data, or legality of operation of the equipment.
- Coordinates and executes NCR biomedical equipment efforts.
- Provides routine reports to mid-level and senior biomedical managers and NCR leadership on equipment status, issues, and initiatives.
- Plans, prepares, executes, provides oversight of biomedical equipment policies & procedures.
- Performs a wide-range of biomedical and engineering services for the integration of new and emerging healthcare technologies in the NCR, with an emphasis on the implementation and standardization of solutions that enhance integrated logistics support. Incumbent also manages the prioritization, installation, and modernization actions for capital equipment related procurements.
- Facilitates compliance with DHA procedural instructions, manuals, and other requirements pertaining to biomedical equipment for the NCR.
- Facilitates testing, repair, transfer, and turn-in operations related to biomedical equipment within the NCR.
- Facilitates biomedical equipment property management, allocation, and life cycle management for the NCR.
- Facilitates Biomedical Equipment operations to include work order management, routine maintenance, and oversees major repairs as required for the NCR.
- Follows guidelines including equipment standards, patient safety parameters, and regulatory requirements outlined in Federal and state guidelines, The Joint Commission, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Health Care Facilities Handbook (applies to medical equipment and the medical environment), applicable Army guidance and regulations, applicable Code of Federal Regulations, Occupational Safety and Health Standards (OSHA) guidelines, Emergency Care Research Institute (ECRI) information, Standing Operating Procedures (SOPs), and original manufacturers' literature. The incumbent exercises judgment to interpret, select, adapt and apply many guidelines, precedents, and electronic principles related to the full range of equipment/systems in one or more functional areas.
- May be required to work in hazardous environments where typical possible hazards are electrical shock from high and low potential current sources, burns, gas fumes, radiation exposure, and biological contamination, as well as physical injury. There is an additional hazard of nosocomial infections while working in clinics, isolation areas, operating rooms, wards or when working on potentially contaminated medical equipment. May be required to handle and/or insure proper disposal of hazardous material(s). May require use of protective/safety clothing/equipment.
- In-depth knowledge and resent experience with Military Biomedical Equipment program.
- Understanding of MHS GENESIS and the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- Understanding of NCR and DHA supply and equipment management principles, practices, concepts and methodologies.
- Knowledge and recent experience with Defense Medical Logistics Standard Support (DMLSS) Equipment Management and Equipment Maintenance modules in sufficient depth to analyze data, and to recognize and resolve problems.
- Knowledge and recent experience with General Fund Enterprise Busyness System. (GFEBS).
- National Capital Region (NCR) and multiple Medical Treatment Facilities (MTF experience is a plus.
- Understanding of information theory, computer science, and systems analysis to apply to integrated operational electronic systems for specific and complex medical systems (i.e., Cardio/Patient monitoring systems, imaging systems, and DINPACS).
- Ability to diagnose problems with the quality of images and signals as required by medical professionals based on the equipment, network, and medical procedure being performed.
- Knowledge of solid state, digital and integrated circuits (microprocessors) to isolate and resolve the complex relationship between electrical, electronic, computer operating systems, mechanical, physical and chemical components of the equipment and system and changes in circuitry when the patient and respective Environment of Care (EOC) become part of the system.
- Extensive knowledge and skill in applying, technical electronics methods, techniques, procedures and/or policies sufficient to engage in the design, development, upgrade application, maintenance, control and operation of complex and specialized test equipment systems.
- Extensive knowledge and skill in applying techniques for developing new or modified work methods, approaches, or procedures.
- Skill in applying analytical and diagnostic techniques to identify, evaluate, and recommend appropriate solutions to resolve complex interrelated problems and issues.
- At least 5 years of experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to contribute as a member of a team.
- Ability to operate without direct supervision.
- Experience with supply, transportation, and facility logistics.
- Must exhibit exceptional customer service skills.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of tools including Microsoft Teams.